I often hear people say “We don’t need incremental innovation in healthcare. We need transformational innovation”.
That statement doesn’t sit well with me. I believe in the power of incremental innovation, and the moral of Aesop’s fable, The Hare and the Tortoise. We’ll get further with slow and steady innovation than we will by sporadically swinging for the fences.
But that doesn’t feel quite right either. If you never make big bets, then you never get big wins.
The truth is, incremental innovation vs. transformational innovation is a false dichotomy. In fact, today’s guest tells us that we have to do both, plus one more thing, or we’ll die.
Michael Ackerman, director of the Master in Healthcare Innovation Program at The Ohio State University, believes that every innovation program must do three things in tandem:
- Innovation – filling gaps where no solution currently exists, in a way that adds value
- Renovation – quality improvement and process improvement
- Exnovation – removing functions that no longer add value; also known as de-implementation
When practiced together, and ideally led by different teams within the organization, the 3 pillars of The Novation Dynamic help us overcome the notorious friction that has slowed healthcare innovation for too long.
- The 3 pillars of The Novation Dynamic and how to apply them in your organization
- The 3 things that make innovation so hard in healthcare and how to address them
- How to do evidenced-based innovation even though innovation is, by definition, void of evidence
- Why we’re seeing so much innovation right now during the pandemic, and what we can learn from the experience to make sure we never slow back down.
- How to create a culture of innovation (plus, a killer idea to make your end of year reviews meaningful at the same time).
- Why no innovation should be deployed without a scheduled reevaluation date.
- How to tap the tremendous potential of nurses to drive innovation
Michael H. Ackerman, DNS, RN, FCCM, FNAP, FAANP, FAAP is director of the Master in Healthcare Innovation Program and professor of clinical nursing at the College of Nursing, The Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio.
Facebook Group: Stop the Silence in Healthcare
This episode is sponsored by:
Formstack is a workplace productivity platform that simplifies healthcare data processes. Healthcare teams can transform piles of paperwork into automated workflows that are easy to administer and 100% HIPAA compliant. From appointment scheduling to insurance verification, Formstack makes it easy to breeze through administrative tasks, reduce security risks, and improve patient care and satisfaction. Learn more and try Formstack here.
Listen to the full interview right here:
You can also find this episode on your favorite podcast network such as:
Trying to drive change within your healthcare organization? Launching a new product? Having trouble getting decision-makers’ attention and buy-in?
We’ll help you understand the whole picture so that you can align your innovation with the things decision-makers care about. And then we’ll help you execute It’s not easy, but it’s possible and we’ll help you get there. Sign up here and we’ll keep you up to date on healthcare industry news with podcasts, blog posts, conference announcements and more. No fluff. No hype. Just the valuable (and often not-so-obvious) information you need to get things done.
Music by StudioEtar