On this episode we recap the 36th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare conference (#JPM18), the Health 2.0 WinterTech event and talk about the “festival” that J.P. Morgan Week becomes in San Francisco. We cover the trends and topics coming out of the festival and use them as a jumping off point to discuss the next wave of digital health investment and innovation.
What you’ll learn:
- What is the J.P. Morgan Healthcare conference?
- What is the Health 2.0 WinterTech Event?
- Who attends these events and how do you get value from them?
- How you can take part in the festival even if you’re not invited to the main show.
- The trends and topics coming out of the festival and what they mean for Health Systems, Investors, Innovators and Startups
- Who are the “Strategics”? What are they investing in? And why are they starting to invest in earlier rounds?
- What are the major Health System strategies and why are they still so “muddled”?
- How and why you should develop pipelines for product development and innovation
- Why we should start to consolidate startups earlier and bundle them into more comprehensive offerings in support of broader strategic initiatives
- How an accelerator might organize around a very specific, outcomes-driven investment thesis and use the “startup bundle” model to create very comprehensive (and fund-able) companies
The 36th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference
Held January 8-11, 2018 – San Francisco
This is the premier gathering of healthcare investors in the U.S. This year more than 400 companies from startups to very large healthcare delivery systems presented to more than 8,000 attendees to share their vision and strategies for the coming years. The idea is to telegraph to investors what’s coming (if you’re an innovator), or to what you’ll be buying (if you’re a large health system). One observer said it “provides an incredibly efficient snapshot of the strategies for large healthcare delivery systems”.
The event is invite-only, but there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in the various events and meetups around town. A prime example of that is the Health 2.0 WinterTech event.
Learn more about #JPM18
The 4th Annual Health 2.0 WinterTech Event
Held January 10, 2018
A much smaller and more targeted event that is billed as “the place for insider insights on investing trends in health care technology”. Less than a year after being acquired by HIMSS, it’s great to hear that this event is still, as Shahid put it, “very much a Matthew (Holt) and Indu (Subaiya) Health 2.0 event”. That means startups get the spotlight. Matthew and Indu love to put them on stage and let them tell the investors what they’re up to.
Learn more about Health 2.0’s WinterTech
Check it out the podcast:
Or, listen right here: