The pandemic has exposed many weaknesses in our healthcare and public health systems, and our disjointed public health data infrastructure is certainly one of them. Like much of our healthcare data, public health data tends to be manually compiled, Excel-reliant, and lacking in critical detail needed to make good decisions. Today we talk with Prashant Natarajan, VP of Healthcare Life Sciences and Health Insurance at H2O.ai about reimagining the collection and use of public health data.
Public Health Data Topics Discussed
- The current state of our public health data infrastructure (12:20)
- Why data is the lifeblood of our society, and how it can help us make better public health decisions (22:36)
- How the pandemic has exposed our weaknesses, and how the private sector can help (28:12)
- The gaps in our public health data and opportunities for improvement (33:19)
- Enable better decision-making with demographic and socioeconomic data (40:17)
- The importance of sharing lessons from region to region and country to country (44:54)
- Applications and use cases for Artificial Intelligence (AI) in public health data (52:01)
- Converting data to narrative form and the importance of storytelling (1:02:22)
This was a fascinating conversation, and Prashant is always a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it!
About Prashant Natarajan
Prashant Natarajan is VP of Healthcare Life Sciences and Health Insurance at H2O.ai
Award-winning global track record of building successful businesses with solutions and products. Conceptualizing, evangelizing & delivering lasting innovation and business transformation – across multiple geographies and organizations in:
- Life Sciences
- Insurance (Health, Group, Annuities & Life)
- Financial Services
Best-selling author of books that demystify data, analytics, AI-ML, and transformation for business leaders, domain experts, and non-technologists. Keynote speaker.
- Twitter: @natarpr
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/natarpr/
- Book: Demystifying Big Data and Machine Learning for Healthcare
- Book: Multidisciplinary Approach to Head and Neck Cancer
H2O.ai is a leading AI technology company that enables organizations to rapidly build world-class AI models and applications. They continue to reimagine what is possible with artificial intelligence and deliver new platforms and technologies to put responsible AI into the hands of more users.
The company vision is to democratize AI by making it easier for individuals to build and access world-class and responsible AI. To achieve this vision, H2O.ai has created a culture of responsible and engaged makers: community, customers, partners, entrepreneurs, and their own “makers,” enabling them with the technology to “make.” H2O is a leading open-source data science and machine learning platform used by nearly half of the Fortune 500 and trusted by over 20,000 organizations and hundreds of thousands of data scientists around the world.
Links and Resources
- Episode 43: Demystifying Big Data and Machine Learning for Healthcare w/ Prashant Natarajan
- Episode 53: What exactly is Precision Medicine? | Prashant Natarajan | H2O.ai
- Episode 126: Using Opportunity Zones to Drive Substantial Investment in SDOH w John Gorman
- Episode 143: The Long Fix: Solving America’s Health Care Crisis with Strategies that Work for Everyone w/ Dr. Vivian Lee
- Episode 146: How Purpose-driven Interoperability and Data Quality Positioned Surescripts to Fill Communication Gaps During the Pandemic – Tom Skelton
- Why Indonesia is vaccinating its working population first, not elderly
- Survivorship Bias: See the In the Military section for an explanation and image of where the planes were shot
- The Hero’s Journey – Joseph Campbell
Listen to the full interview right here:
Or, find it on your favorite podcast network such as:
Trying to drive change within your healthcare organization? Launching a new product? Having trouble getting decision-makers’ attention and buy-in?
We’ll help you understand the whole picture so that you can align your innovation with the things decision-makers care about. And then we’ll help you execute It’s not easy, but it’s possible and we’ll help you get there. Sign up here and we’ll keep you up to date on healthcare industry news with podcasts, blog posts, conference announcements and more. No fluff. No hype. Just the valuable (and often not-so-obvious) information you need to get things done.
Music by StudioEtar