Surescripts is at the center of almost all prescriptions for medications in the US. In this era, when almost no other kind of prescriptions are being allowed, how is Surescripts thinking about digital prescriptions? How has Surescripts adapted to the new needs of patients and providers at the point of care with their real-time prescription benefit? Dr. Andrew Mellin, Chief Medical Information Officer at Surescripts joins us today to show us how the right technology changes physician prescribing behavior, saves patients money, and improves trust throughout the entire system, at the same time.
- How should providers, innovators, and developers think about digital prescriptions?
- What effect will COVID-19 have on telemedicine and e-prescribing?
- Challenges of practicing healthcare remotely.
- Surescripts is exploring opportunities to work with The Sequoia Project on PULSE
If it’s not in the workflow, the chance of it being used is extremely small.
- The toolset that Surescripts has for price transparency and real-time prescription benefit checks.
- How to change physician prescribing practices.
- Getting information to the doctor at the point of care is the name of the game.
- Behind the scenes on the network that flags prior authorizations and eliminates extra work.
Andrew Mellin MD, MBA, Chief Medical Information Officer
Andrew Mellin, MD, MBA, is VP, Chief Medical Information Officer at Surescripts, where he helps the Surescripts Network Alliance improve the care experience for both providers and patients with a focus on technology and smart workflow solutions. Dr. Mellin has over 20 years of experience in health information technology, patient quality and safety, consumer health and EHR implementation and adoption. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and worked as a part-time hospitalist in St. Paul, MN for 15 years.
Our purpose is to serve the nation with the single most trusted and capable health information network, built to increase patient safety, lower costs and ensure quality care. Since 2001, Surescripts has led the movement to turn data into actionable intelligence, and convened the Surescripts Network Alliance™ to enhance prescribing, inform care decisions and advance the healthcare industry.
Links and Resources
- Andrew Mellin LinkedIn
- Surescripts LinkedIn
- Surescripts Twitter
- Surescripts blog: ZIP Code v. Genetic Code: How Health Plans Can Use Technology to Address the Social Determinants of Health
- Report: Prescription Price Transparency & The Patient Experience
- Episode 71: Transforming the Prescription Decision Process Between Physicians and Patients w/ Tom Skelton
Or, find it on your favorite podcast network such as:
Trying to drive change within your healthcare organization? Launching a new product? Having trouble getting decision-makers’ attention and buy-in?
We’ll help you understand the whole picture so that you can align your innovation with the things decision-makers care about. And then we’ll help you execute It’s not easy, but it’s possible and we’ll help you get there. Sign up here and we’ll keep you up to date on healthcare industry news with podcasts, blog posts, conference announcements and more. No fluff. No hype. Just the valuable (and often not-so-obvious) information you need to get things done.
Music by StudioEtar