In a growing crowd of national health information networks, eHealth Exchange is one of the oldest and most connected in the U.S.. Notably, they are the primary way healthcare organizations connect with federal agencies such as the Social Security Administration (SSA), Department of Defense (DOD), and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In addition, they’re connected with 75% of all U.S. hospitals, more than 60 regional and state HIEs, more than 5,000 dialysis centers and more.
Today we take a thorough look at eHealth Exchange with Executive Director, Jay Nakashima to find out what they do to give you a sense of how they may fit into your clinical data strategy. Topics include:
- What does the eHealth Exchange do
- Who participates
- How eHealth Exchange connects federal agencies like the SSA, DOD, and VA
- Why is the social security administration is such a large consumer of clinical data
- The difference in outcomes when you’re opt-in vs opt-out
- How does eHealth Exchange compare with the other national networks
- How does eHealth Exchange fit in with TEFCA
- How the Surescripts Record Locator Service is used within the network
- How is eHealth Exchange different than regional and state HIEs
- Why they don’t store any clinical information and the pluses/minuses for federated vs. non-federated exchanges
- New support for electronic case reporting
- Recent simplifications to their integrations and onboarding
- The PULSE Connectivity model
Over the past 25 years Jay Nakashima has designed and implemented EHRs, optimized clinical workflow, and spearheaded data exchange. Jay has worked for health IT vendors, providers, payers, and now leads the eHealth Exchange, the nation’s oldest and largest public-private health information network.
Active in all 50 states, the eHealth Exchange is the largest query-based, health information network in the country. It is the principal network that connects federal agencies and non-federal organizations, allowing them to work together to improve patient care and public health.
Links and Related Episodes
- What you need to Know About TEFCA Right Now w/ Mariann Yeager
- Transforming the Prescription Decision Process Between Physicians and Patients w/ Surescripts CEO Tom Skelton
- Interoperability 2.0 with Niko Skievaski
- Why HIEs Will Lead the Way on Healthcare Quality Measurement w/ John D’Amore
- The Path to Healthcare Interoperability
- TEFCA, Interoperability, and an Industry’s Unreasonable Expectations
- The Regional HIE Should be Your First Stop for Interop
- ADVault: https://mydirectives.com/ make your end of life medical wishes known
Listen to the interview right here:
Or, find it on your favorite podcast network such as:
Trying to drive change within your healthcare organization? Launching a new product? Having trouble getting decision-makers’ attention and buy-in?
We’ll help you understand the whole picture so that you can align your innovation with the things decision-makers care about. And then we’ll help you execute It’s not easy, but it’s possible and we’ll help you get there. Sign up here and we’ll keep you up to date on healthcare industry news with podcasts, blog posts, conference announcements and more. No fluff. No hype. Just the valuable (and often not-so-obvious) information you need to get things done.
Music by StudioEtar