The premise behind #HCBiz was, and still is, that we can’t “just innovate”. Sure, you may have a great idea, an all-star team and execute flawlessly, but if you don’t understand the complex dynamics of the healthcare business you’ll never get traction. It’ll seem that the system is broken and the people inside of it are irrational. You’ll swear that it just doesn’t make any sense at all. Well, we’re here to tell you that it always makes sense. There just happens to be a dozen or more counter-intuitive, conflicting incentives that are driving the behavior that confuses you. Our job is to help you identify those incentives, break them apart into smaller, more manageable chunks and devise a plan to work with them, around them, and possibly even use them to your advantage. It’s like one big innovation serenity prayer and it applies to anyone who’s trying to drive change in healthcare from startups to industry insiders.
Our goal is to educate and empower the doers out there and to help them get the best tools and processes in the hands of the people who need them.
We launched The Business of Healthcare Tweetchat on this premise in February 2016 and added live video shortly after that. We ran 35″shows” in our first year that usually consisted of a tweet chat followed by the live video. We built a great community and I’ve developed some incredible relationships as a result. We covered topics ranging from MACRA to Direct Primary Care to Interop and everything in-between. Some of the highlights:
- MACRA Help and Resources from CMS w/ Aisling McDonough
- The Big Heist Film Project w/ Dave Chase
- The Problem w/ Provider Directories w/ Shahid Shah
- Taking Patient Generated Health Data Mainstream w/ Validic, PCHA, and Frost & Sullivan
- What happens when you let patients design the clinic? w/ Dr. Justin Smith
There were too many great guests to name. You can see all the videos here and read all the corresponding blog posts and summaries on this site. I’m so grateful for the wonderful guests that shared with us in 2016.
Introducing the #HCBiz Show! as a Podcast
Now we’re launching The #HCBiz Show! as a traditional audio podcast available on iTunes (and all the other typical podcast channels). There are a lot of reasons for this. First and foremost, we like to experiment and want to see what we can do with this medium. I myself am a huge fan of podcasts and audio books and I consume anywhere from 10-20 hours worth each week while driving, doing household chores, etc. It’s been an incredible tool for me, and now I want to give back by producing great content that helps others get through traffic and laundry 🙂
Our approach to the podcast will be to go deep. Instead of one-off episodes like we did in 2016, we’re going to deliver 6-8 episode deep-dives over a period of 1-2 months. These “min-series” will break apart a topic and attack it from every angle. When we’re done, we hope that our listeners will have a strong grasp of the issue and be in a position to apply what they’ve learned in the real-world. Here’s a look at what we’re planning:
- April: Infection Prevention and Control
- May: Provider Directories
- June: Digital Health Startup Crash Course
- July: How to Run an Innovation Lab
Episodes will be delivered weekly (Wednesday’s at noon EST) and will run in the 30-60 minute range.
We’re really excited to continue this journey with you. Please subscribe to the podcast here and let us know what you think by rating it on iTunes and leaving your comments. Your ratings/comments go a long way to help us reach new audiences and your help is greatly appreciated.
I hope you enjoy the show!
– Don Lee
- Disintermediate! Disintermediate! Disintermediate!
- Create space for innovation by freeing up resources and cash
- Using What, Why and How to set your path.
- Innovation is about eliminating things as much as it is about adding things.
- Just because it works for Amazon, Uber or Facebook doesn’t mean it will work for healthcare.
- Introducing our first deep-dive. The #HCBiz Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) Series
Or, listen here: